Ms Tamanna Narang
M.sc (Foods & Nutrition )
Replied 2017-02-07 07:36:38 UTC
As you said that she’s on Dialysis & suffering from lung infection, you should be very particular about cooking method & food choices. Here’s some dietary tips for you that you should include in her diet.
1. Choose low potassium fruits and vegetables.
2. Potassium can also be reduced by leaching process – soak & boil vegetables - discard water.
3. The highest amount of potassium is found in nuts, potatoes, oranges, kiwi, peaches, apricots.
4. Low potassium foods, safest to include frequently in a renal patients diet, include stewed apple, grapes, stewed pears and plums, green beans, corn, cauliflower, tinda, tori, lauki, cucumbers and pumpkin.
5. Avoid adding salt substitutes containing potassium. Specially Watch for sauces - Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce are rich in sodium.
6.Collect a good selection of no-sodium seasonings and use lemon, vinegar, mint and coriander to flavor low salt food.
7. Avoid extra milk or milk products.
8. Avoid dry fruits
9.Avoid fruit juices, no sugar, no jaggery, no honey
10.Count water content of foods (fruits) while on fluid restriction.
copyright 2017. Alternacare. All rights reserved